Velocity Reviews

-   -   Thunderbird 1.0 install over Thunderbird 0.8 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t10705-thunderbird-1-0-install-over-thunderbird-0-8-a.html)

mapmaker 03-04-2005 09:25 PM

Thunderbird 1.0 install over Thunderbird 0.8

After having gone through hell and back with the Firefox 1.0.1 "update
patch" fiasco, I don't want to go through anything like it again when
I "upgrade" from TB 0.8 to TB 1.0 (Bottom line...UNINSTALL Firefox
before "upgrading" or "patching".)

So...Stupid Question 101:
I have downloaded the "Thunderbird Setup 1.0.exe", do I have to
UNinstall my existing Thunderbird 0.8 before running the new 1.0
install, or can I safely install 1.0 over my 0.8?

Thanks for your indulgence and helpful advice.

Big Will 03-04-2005 09:45 PM

Re: Thunderbird 1.0 install over Thunderbird 0.8

mapmaker wrote:
> After having gone through hell and back with the Firefox 1.0.1 "update
> patch" fiasco, I don't want to go through anything like it again when
> I "upgrade" from TB 0.8 to TB 1.0 (Bottom line...UNINSTALL Firefox
> before "upgrading" or "patching".)
>
> So...Stupid Question 101:
> I have downloaded the "Thunderbird Setup 1.0.exe", do I have to
> UNinstall my existing Thunderbird 0.8 before running the new 1.0
> install, or can I safely install 1.0 over my 0.8?
>
> Thanks for your indulgence and helpful advice.

Your guess is as good as mine, but it probably wouldn't hurt to
uninstall .8 first. Even though 1.0 should automatically find your
profile from .8, you may wish to back it up before proceeding with the
uninstall/reinstall.

Regards,

Will

graeme@invalid 03-04-2005 09:47 PM

mapmaker wrote:
> After having gone through hell and back with the Firefox 1.0.1 "update
> patch" fiasco, I don't want to go through anything like it again when
> I "upgrade" from TB 0.8 to TB 1.0 (Bottom line...UNINSTALL Firefox
> before "upgrading" or "patching".)
>
> So...Stupid Question 101:
> I have downloaded the "Thunderbird Setup 1.0.exe", do I have to
> UNinstall my existing Thunderbird 0.8 before running the new 1.0
> install, or can I safely install 1.0 over my 0.8?
>
> Thanks for your indulgence and helpful advice.

Your choice, both methods work. The uninstall or over install won't
touch your profile folder so all your contacts and themes etc will be
retained. The only difference is that if you do an over install you
will be left with an extra entry under add/remove programmes, that is
the only difference.

As a rule I always use add/remove to keep things tidy.

--
So long and thanks for all the fish.

graeme@invalid 03-04-2005 09:52 PM

mapmaker wrote:
> After having gone through hell and back with the Firefox 1.0.1 "update
> patch" fiasco, I don't want to go through anything like it again when
> I "upgrade" from TB 0.8 to TB 1.0 (Bottom line...UNINSTALL Firefox
> before "upgrading" or "patching".)
>
> So...Stupid Question 101:
> I have downloaded the "Thunderbird Setup 1.0.exe", do I have to
> UNinstall my existing Thunderbird 0.8 before running the new 1.0
> install, or can I safely install 1.0 over my 0.8?
>
> Thanks for your indulgence and helpful advice.

I meant to add that some of your extensions that work with Ver 0.8 may
not work with Ver 1.0

--
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Leonidas Jones 03-05-2005 12:16 AM

mapmaker wrote:
> After having gone through hell and back with the Firefox 1.0.1 "update
> patch" fiasco, I don't want to go through anything like it again when
> I "upgrade" from TB 0.8 to TB 1.0 (Bottom line...UNINSTALL Firefox
> before "upgrading" or "patching".)
>
> So...Stupid Question 101:
> I have downloaded the "Thunderbird Setup 1.0.exe", do I have to
> UNinstall my existing Thunderbird 0.8 before running the new 1.0
> install, or can I safely install 1.0 over my 0.8?
>
> Thanks for your indulgence and helpful advice.

Thunderbird's installer suffers from exactly the same bug that Firefox's
does. If you install over the top of an older verions, you will get
orphaned listings of Thunderbird in COntrol Panel, Add/Remove Programs.
The program will still work, but its disconcerting to see three or
four old versions of TB listed there, when you only have one installed.

You might want to hold off. There is a maintenance release 1.0.1 due
out within days. Get that, and uninstall/reinstall.

Lee