Velocity Reviews

-   -   Thunderbird - What a piece of Shit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t10677-thunderbird-what-a-piece-of-shit.html)

coyote2@donotemail.com 03-02-2005 08:27 AM

Thunderbird - What a piece of Shit

I just have to say this. I installed Firefox several months ago, and
absolutely love it. I decided that Thunderbird might be just as good,
even though I have been using Eudora for nearly 10 years. I installed
Thunderbird, and fought with it, and fought with it more. I
originally let it import from Eudora. That was a mistake. It
insisted on resending all 280 some messages that had been sent, and
kept telling me that there were 6 unread messages, that DID NOT EXIST.
I fought with it more, and yet more. I could not get it to stop
bugging me about those six messages, and the supposed unsent messages,
and everytime I did anything, it kept popping up about those messages.
I finally uninstalled it, figuring I would do a bare-bones install,
not allowing it to get any info from Eudora. I ran a complete
uninstall, and reinstalled it, only to find that it had retained all
that stuff it had taken from before. I uninstalled again, and moved
Eudora to an external backup drive, and disconnected that drive. I
rebooted, and installed it again. The damn thing once again found all
that junk as before. I finally found that uninstalling does not
truely uninstall, because it stored all that stuff it had imported in
the windows/application data/*.* folder. It also left other files in
my windows dir. After several hours of searching my drive, I finally
succeeded in destroying all that junk. Once again I installed it.
This time I finally got a bare-bones installation, however, I found it
takes over a minute to load, with not even one email in it.

I finally decided to send an email to myself as a test. I typed a few
words and fought with it again over something or other, which I really
did not understand what it wanted, nor at this point did I care,
because I had just plain had enough of this piece of **** software. I
hit "cancel" or "do not send", or whatever wording it uses to NOT send
that email, but it insisted on asking me over and over and over what
to do with that message, even though I told it 5 or more times to kill
the ****ing message. I used a 3 finger salute and rebooted the
computer at that point. Re started Windows, and uninstalled it. Then
I went and cleaned up all the junk that the uninstaller misses.

I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

I find it hard to believe that the same company that created one of
the best, if not the absolute best browser (Firefox) in history, could
possibly create anything as horrible and user unfriendly and crappy as
Thunderbird. I will never install it again, considering there are is
a much better piece of software bundled with Windows, (Outlook
Express), except for the virus issues, which is why I do not regularly
use it. So, I will continue to pay for Eudora which as always been
the best.

Thunderbird is horrible ! What a piece of **** !

Michael O'Keefe 03-02-2005 09:03 AM

Re: Thunderbird - What a piece of Shit

Amen to that!

jmcd 03-02-2005 09:16 AM

coyote2@donotemail.com said the following on 3/2/05 3:27 AM:
> [...]
> I went and cleaned up all the junk that the uninstaller misses.
>
> I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
> OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
> be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
> pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
> it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!
>
> I find it hard to believe that the same company that created one of
> the best, if not the absolute best browser (Firefox) in history, could
> possibly create anything as horrible and user unfriendly and crappy as
> Thunderbird. I will never install it again, considering there are is
> a much better piece of software bundled with Windows, (Outlook
> Express), except for the virus issues, which is why I do not regularly
> use it. So, I will continue to pay for Eudora which as always been

oops..I'll restate that in this forum..Tell us what you really think. :)

HD 03-02-2005 09:59 AM

> [...]

> I went and cleaned up all the junk that the uninstaller misses.
>
> I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
> OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
> be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
> pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
> it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!
>
> I find it hard to believe that the same company that created one of
> the best, if not the absolute best browser (Firefox) in history, could
> possibly create anything as horrible and user unfriendly and crappy as
> Thunderbird. I will never install it again, considering there are is
> a much better piece of software bundled with Windows, (Outlook
> Express), except for the virus issues, which is why I do not regularly
> use it. So, I will continue to pay for Eudora which as always been

If you don't like - don't use it.

Simple.

HD

Bryan Harrison 03-02-2005 10:06 AM

Re: Thunderbird - What a piece of Shit

> Thunderbird is horrible ! What a piece of **** !

Thanks. I'll stop using it immediately.
Damn, I have been deluding myself for the past 2 years.
Now.. how do you re-install Outlook Express?

--
Bryan

Reclaim Your Browser!
http://www.getfirefox.com

JDT 03-02-2005 10:23 AM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:27:11 -0600, coyote2@donotemail.com wrote:

>I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
>OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
>be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
>pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
>it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

And Windows ME is not on your list?

..brian.. 03-02-2005 03:19 PM

Re: Thunderbird - What a piece of Shit

coyote2@donotemail.com wrote:
> I just have to say this. I installed Firefox several months ago, and
> absolutely love it. I decided that Thunderbird might be just as

good,
> even though I have been using Eudora for nearly 10 years.

Which is it? "nearly 10 years", or "using computers for 15 years".
Make up your mind, or learn to lie consistently.

> I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
> OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
> be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten

WORST
> pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
> it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

But you enjoy using ME!? I'm amazed at your high-tech credentials, and
now I value your opinion much more than /before/ I knew of your vast
computer experience.

But anyway, do you feel better now? It's too bad you just wasted time
ranting about TB to people who don't give a ****. Just as I'm wasting
my time replying to a Eudora fan-boy. Here in AFM, we don't care if
you don't like Thunderbird; just quit using it. It's that simple.
It's your choice, and you didn't loose anything by trying it. It's
free.

You might want to try your whining over on comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
-- with other people who love Eudora.

Just as you hate TB, there are plenty of people who hate Eudora. I can
post links to multiple newsgroup posts, and a ton of "Eudora problem"
related posts from the Eudora lifespan. But I'm not going to waste my
time pointing this out to a Eudora fan-boy.

Personally, I hate the way Eudora looks and operates, and there is no
way I would ever consider paying for it. But that's why I don't ;-)

Here's something I hate more: that in all of Eudora's greatness, the
makers decided that I can not disable HTML email... but worse yet...
the user can't stop the email client from loading remote images. What
a wonderful work of art!

Keep using Eudora if you like it. And people who like TB will keep
using it. You really wasted your time trolling around in here with
your rants. So keep paying for and using your remote image loading,
HTML loving POS email client.

It's just that simple.

comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

--
Brian

John 03-02-2005 03:24 PM

> [...]

>I went and cleaned up all the junk that the uninstaller misses.
>
>I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
>OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
>be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
>pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
>it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!
>
>I find it hard to believe that the same company that created one of
>the best, if not the absolute best browser (Firefox) in history, could
>possibly create anything as horrible and user unfriendly and crappy as
>Thunderbird. I will never install it again, considering there are is
>a much better piece of software bundled with Windows, (Outlook
>Express), except for the virus issues, which is why I do not regularly
>use it. So, I will continue to pay for Eudora which as always been

Personally, I don't use it. I have used Eudora (sponsored mode - who care about
that little ad?) for over ten years, and like it .

<wink>
What bothers me most, since your opinion on this subject is no doubt,
absolutely, and definitely right - what about those thousands (perhaps tens of
thousands) of poor people who have been deluded into thinking that Thunderbird
is a good program?
What are we going to do to save them from certain didaster?
</wink>

John <><

..brian.. 03-02-2005 03:28 PM

...brian.. wrote:
> coyote2@donotemail.com wrote:
> > I just have to say this. I installed Firefox several months ago,

and
> > absolutely love it. I decided that Thunderbird might be just as

> good,
> > even though I have been using Eudora for nearly 10 years.

> Which is it? "nearly 10 years", or "using computers for 15 years".
> Make up your mind, or learn to lie consistently.
>
> > I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x

> > OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going

> > be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten

> WORST
> > pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
> > it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

Or!! I should learn to read slower in the morning ;-)

Pun Krocker 03-02-2005 03:49 PM

Re: Thunderbird - What a piece of Shit

In article <8bmb219kuieurrqpcka50ps3hk90rki29a@4ax.com>,
nospam@nospam.ru says...
> >I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
> >OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
> >be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
> >pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
> >it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

20 plus years of computers and I can't remember when I first installed
Thunderbird for e-mail (never been keen on it's newsgroup use), but it's
been fine from day one (loading time 3 seconds approx).

Funny old world we live in ;-)

--
d{_}b PK

interviewing people who can't talk