Velocity Reviews

-   -   SQL syntax error in INSERT INTO statement (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t105694-sql-syntax-error-in-insert-into-statement.html)

Nathan Sokalski 07-01-2005 04:08 AM

SQL syntax error in INSERT INTO statement

When trying to submit data to an Access database using ASP.NET I recieve the
following error:

[OleDbException (0x80040e14): Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement.]
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextE rrorHandling(Int32 hr)
+41
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextF orSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS
dbParams, Object& executeResult) +174
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText( Object& executeResult)
+92
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(Comm andBehavior behavior,
Object& executeResult) +65
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderIntern al(CommandBehavior
behavior, String method) +112
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +66
PAPresenters.register.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\PAPresenters\register.aspx.vb:2 20
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String
eventArgument) +57
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33

The SQL in the CommandText property immediately before the the
ExecuteNonQuery method, which I got using Visual Studio's debugger, are:

>Debug.Print cmdSubmitToDB.CommandText

"INSERT INTO members
(organization,address1,city,state,zip,county,cell, email,password,membertype)
VALUES('Nate''s House','1234 My
House','MyCity','CA','12345','NONE','123-456-7890','njsokalski@hotmail.com','mypassword','artis tagent')"

What is wrong with the syntax in this statement? Is there any way I can have
be told where in the statement the error is? Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

=?Utf-8?B?c3Jpbmk=?= 07-01-2005 06:48 AM

RE: SQL syntax error in INSERT INTO statement

hi,
use [password] instead of password in the insert statement since password is
a reserved keyword.

--
The best
srini

Paul Clement 07-01-2005 01:35 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:48:02 -0700, "srini" <srini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

hi,
use [password] instead of password in the insert statement since password is
a reserved keyword.

Sure is. You can always check the links below should you have any doubts:

List of Microsoft Jet 4.0 reserved words

List of reserved words in Access 2002 and Access 2003

ODBC Reserved Keywords
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...d_keywords.asp

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

William \(Bill\) Vaughn 07-01-2005 03:00 PM

Re: SQL syntax error in INSERT INTO statement

Right and better yet setup a Parameter-driven Command instead of using ad
hoc queries--unless you don't care about SQL injection and a number of other
issues.

--
____________________________________
William (Bill) Vaughn

diverge 08-20-2008 02:44 AM

It worked for me

I had the same problem where i have used :
Insert into table (password,...)
you must use :
Insert into table ([password],...) to have an valid sql expression

tnx

ahmed_samir 09-03-2010 02:12 AM

I have a syntax error in (insert into) statement

my statment is like that

d = "insert into cv1(name,birth,country,city,address,tel,school,spc h,quali,email,pers,user)values('" + nme.Text + "','" + birth.Text + "','" + country.Text + "','" + city.Text + "','" + address.Text + "','" + tel.Text + "','" + school.Text + "','" + spech.Text + "','" + quali.Text + "','" + email.Text + "','" + pers.Text + "','" + user.Text + "')"

and my proplem is :
when i start debuging an error happen which is syntax error INSERT INTO statement and the program highlight the cmd.excutenonquery() statment
so if any one can help me in this problem

:(

Ahmed Samir