Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firefox downside, maybe? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t10506-firefox-downside-maybe.html)

Poly-poly man 02-12-2005 11:03 PM

Firefox downside, maybe?

Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use notepad!
I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all in
one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?

Annoyed,
Poly-poly man

Leonidas Jones 02-12-2005 11:40 PM

Re: Firefox downside, maybe?

Poly-poly man wrote:
> Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
> annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use notepad!
> I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all in
> one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?
>
> Annoyed,
> Poly-poly man

The whole point of Firefox is that it is browser, just a browser,
nothing but a browser. Rather then an all in one suite, you need
different applications for different tasks.

Take a look at NVu:

http://www.nvu.com/

Lee

Foxtrot Oscar 02-13-2005 12:00 PM

Re: Firefox downside, maybe?

Poly-poly man wrote:
> Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
> annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use notepad!
> I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all in
> one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?

This bugs me sometimes too, but I just have to remember to right-click
on the file and 'Edit' in Notepad before I open it. A source editing
extension would be good though...

Poly-poly man 02-13-2005 12:51 PM

Re: Firefox downside, maybe?

Foxtrot Oscar wrote:
> Poly-poly man wrote:
> > Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
> > annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use

notepad!
> > I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all

in
> > one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?

> This bugs me sometimes too, but I just have to remember to

right-click
> on the file and 'Edit' in Notepad before I open it. A source editing
> extension would be good though...

Definately. It would be sooooooo cool if they made a FireFox suite,
including thunderbird and stuff in it. But for now, I can edit with
notepad, or the old fashioned Mozilla.

Arne 02-13-2005 02:00 PM

Re: Firefox downside, maybe?

Once upon a time *Poly-poly man* wrote:
> Foxtrot Oscar wrote:
>> Poly-poly man wrote:
>> > Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
>> > annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use

> notepad!
>> > I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all

> in
>> > one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?

>> This bugs me sometimes too, but I just have to remember to

> right-click
>> on the file and 'Edit' in Notepad before I open it. A source editing
>> extension would be good though...

> Definately. It would be sooooooo cool if they made a FireFox suite,
> including thunderbird and stuff in it. But for now, I can edit with
> notepad, or the old fashioned Mozilla.

Why the heck do you need a "Firefox Suit"? The Mozilla Suit still
exist, the latest version is 1.7.5 and is what you are used to I guess
with the "glory" of mail, chat, composer, etc. all in one..

--
/Arne

Fr Jack 02-13-2005 03:09 PM

Re: Firefox downside, maybe?

"Poly-poly man" <pyrophobicman@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Definately. It would be sooooooo cool if they made a FireFox suite,

They do.... it's called "Mozilla"...

I get the feeling you've missed the point of Firefox.
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack

Leonidas Jones 02-13-2005 11:15 PM

Re: Firefox downside, maybe?

Foxtrot Oscar wrote:
> Poly-poly man wrote:
>
>> Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
>> annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use notepad!
>> I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all in
>> one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?

> This bugs me sometimes too, but I just have to remember to right-click
> on the file and 'Edit' in Notepad before I open it. A source editing
> extension would be good though...

Launchy will allow you to edit the source in an editor of your choice.

Lee

John Thompson 02-14-2005 02:07 AM

Re: Firefox downside, maybe?

On 2005-02-13, Poly-poly man <pyrophobicman@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Definately. It would be sooooooo cool if they made a FireFox suite,
> including thunderbird and stuff in it. But for now, I can edit with
> notepad, or the old fashioned Mozilla.

Huh? Isn't the Mozilla the "FireFox Suite" you're dreaming about?
If not, why not?

The purpose of creating FireFox and Thunderbird in th first place was to
make them stand-alone applications without the additional bloat a suite
imposes. If this isn't what you want, Mozilla is functionally just as good
and offers the integration you desire.

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)

Ed Mullen 02-14-2005 03:25 AM

Re: Firefox downside, maybe?

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2005-02-13, Poly-poly man <pyrophobicman@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Definately. It would be sooooooo cool if they made a FireFox suite,
>>including thunderbird and stuff in it. But for now, I can edit with
>>notepad, or the old fashioned Mozilla.

> Huh? Isn't the Mozilla the "FireFox Suite" you're dreaming about?
> If not, why not?
>
> The purpose of creating FireFox and Thunderbird in th first place was to
> make them stand-alone applications without the additional bloat a suite
> imposes. If this isn't what you want, Mozilla is functionally just as good
> and offers the integration you desire.

Besides, the issue of bloat is, in my opinion, way over-bloated, err,
overblown. If you're running both FF and TB there is little advantage
over the Suite in memory usage or disk footprint. This is especially
true on any "modern" system, that is, anything up from about a 233MHz
box with 128 Mb of RAM. And the stand-alone apps have had all sorts of
useful stuff stripped out of them that requires installation of numerous
extensions, thereby negating the slim advantage they may have. You'll
have to pry the Suite from "my cold dead hands." ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

FoxWolfie Galen 02-14-2005 11:27 AM

Re: Firefox downside, maybe?

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:25:27 -0500, Ed Mullen <ed@edmullen.net> wrote:

> Besides, the issue of bloat is, in my opinion, way over-bloated, err,
> overblown. If you're running both FF and TB there is little advantage
> over the Suite in memory usage or disk footprint.

But if one already has a favorite mail and news client, as I suspect most
people do, then FF is exactly what they might want.
--
FoxWolfie