Velocity Reviews

-   -   Compressing Images before Upload (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t105055-compressing-images-before-upload.html)

news 06-21-2005 08:30 AM

Compressing Images before Upload

Does anyone know how I can compress images from an asp.net app on the client
before they are sent to the server. I can compress them once they are on the
server fine with GDI+ functions etc but when I try any code to not have the
whole image sent to the server first it won't work and I can see the image
is sent. The reason I want to do this is the web based app will always be
using smaller sized pictures and the camera is creating lareg pictures
locally of over a meg (don't want to later camera settings) and I just want
to compress them with GDI+ and then send so that it can be done quickly. At
the moment I have to send the whole file and then compress which takes too
long. I would ideally like to have some solution from asp.net so that no
external client software needs to be used/written (may have to bit the
bullet on this ?)

I'm not really up to speed in this area so any help or suggestions would be
gratefully apprectiated..

Regards

Gavin Bryan

bradley 06-21-2005 12:35 PM

Re: Compressing Images before Upload

There is no HTML or JavaScript feature to compress images or write to the
local file system. Therefore, the solution would need to involve a client
side component like an ActiveX control or Java applet. What you need is a
webcam hosting component to run in the browser?

news:ReQte.3737$y57.69@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk.. .

news 06-21-2005 03:39 PM

Re: Compressing Images before Upload

Thanks for the reply Bradley

Yes I think I may need to look at an active-x or java control. It is for a
content managed web site for cars and they will be uploading pcitures from a
digital camera to their PC and my sofware then attaches the images that they
select to the car record that they set-up and I want it to compress and
re-size automatically and then send to the server. It will be rolled out to
different sites and different cameras are going to have different images
sizes and most will be too large to send to the server and then compress. I
want to try and have everything driven from the site and be generic so I
think it will need to look at an active-x control or java app.

Thanks