Velocity Reviews

-   -   Thunderbird - mark spam as read / don't get notifications about spam (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t10440-thunderbird-mark-spam-as-read-dont-get-notifications-about-spam.html)

Stefano 02-05-2005 05:38 PM

Thunderbird - mark spam as read / don't get notifications about spam

Hi, is there a way I can automatically mark spam as read?

I'd like to do this to avoid getting notified about spam mail.

I'd need also a way to avoid the small "new mail" pop up notification in
the right low corner of the screen about spam. To do this: how can I set
TB to automatically download mail from server (thus checking if spam or
not and deleting/marking it read in the case) BEFORE showing the new
mail icon popup?

Thanks

Stefano

Moz Champion 02-07-2005 12:26 PM

Re: Thunderbird - mark spam as read / don't get notifications aboutspam

Stefano wrote:

> Hi, is there a way I can automatically mark spam as read?
>
> I'd like to do this to avoid getting notified about spam mail.
>
> I'd need also a way to avoid the small "new mail" pop up notification in
> the right low corner of the screen about spam. To do this: how can I set
> TB to automatically download mail from server (thus checking if spam or
> not and deleting/marking it read in the case) BEFORE showing the new
> mail icon popup?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stefano

By using the JMC (Junk Mail Controls) available in TB you can eliminate
most (up to 99.9% of spam) from your inbox.

However, that occurs AFTER you download the mail, not before. To do what
you want to do, you must have a server side program, or one that mimics
server side programs, and TB is a client side program.

If the spam is caught by TB and moved to the Junk folder, then the new
message notification is suppressed locally (inbox not marked as
containing unread)

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Stefano 02-07-2005 01:53 PM

Re: Thunderbird - mark spam as read / don't get notifications about spam

Un header molto originale introduce la risposta a "Moz Champion":

>By using the JMC (Junk Mail Controls) available in TB you can eliminate
>most (up to 99.9% of spam) from your inbox.
>
>However, that occurs AFTER you download the mail, not before. To do what
>you want to do, you must have a server side program, or one that mimics
>server side programs, and TB is a client side program.
>
>If the spam is caught by TB and moved to the Junk folder, then the new
>message notification is suppressed locally (inbox not marked as
>containing unread)

Yep, got it.
Actually, by setting "Automatically Download Mail" (dunno the exact name
in english version) i don't get notification popup for spam.

Another thing I like I came up with, is creating another fake accunt for
spam, with a different inbox and such. I move all spam to THAT account
inbox and I leave it collapsed. This way I can totally banish the spam
from my sight.

Last thing I wonder: is there a way I can move that fake account down,
after the local folders I use, instead that having it on the top?

thnx

Stefano

Moz Champion 02-07-2005 07:28 PM

Stefano wrote:

> Un header molto originale introduce la risposta a "Moz Champion":
>

>>By using the JMC (Junk Mail Controls) available in TB you can eliminate
>>most (up to 99.9% of spam) from your inbox.
>>
>>However, that occurs AFTER you download the mail, not before. To do what
>>you want to do, you must have a server side program, or one that mimics
>>server side programs, and TB is a client side program.
>>
>>If the spam is caught by TB and moved to the Junk folder, then the new
>>message notification is suppressed locally (inbox not marked as
>>containing unread)

> Yep, got it.
> Actually, by setting "Automatically Download Mail" (dunno the exact name
> in english version) i don't get notification popup for spam.
>
> Another thing I like I came up with, is creating another fake accunt for
> spam, with a different inbox and such. I move all spam to THAT account
> inbox and I leave it collapsed. This way I can totally banish the spam
> from my sight.
>
> Last thing I wonder: is there a way I can move that fake account down,
> after the local folders I use, instead that having it on the top?
>
> thnx
>
> Stefano

You dont need the fake account, simply a Junk folder, which can be
anywhere within your folders.

I dont suggest re-directiing mail to an inbox, which is treated
differently than other folders (JMC runs on inboxes automatically for
example). Having a fake account doesnt do much in this instance.
--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Stefano 02-09-2005 02:10 AM

Re: Thunderbird - mark spam as read / don't get notifications about spam

Un header molto originale introduce la risposta a "Moz Champion":

>You dont need the fake account, simply a Junk folder, which can be
>anywhere within your folders.

Yes but with a junk mail folder the mail will appear to be read, and it
annoys me to see something in bold (i have many folders for miling
lists) when there's only spam.

>I dont suggest re-directiing mail to an inbox, which is treated
>differently than other folders (JMC runs on inboxes automatically for
>example). Having a fake account doesnt do much in this instance.

On the other account i have disabled everything of course... then i
leave it collapsed and i'm not aware of how much spam i get.

Stefnao

Moz Champion 02-09-2005 02:34 AM

Stefano wrote:

> Un header molto originale introduce la risposta a "Moz Champion":
>

>>You dont need the fake account, simply a Junk folder, which can be
>>anywhere within your folders.

> Yes but with a junk mail folder the mail will appear to be read, and it
> annoys me to see something in bold (i have many folders for miling
> lists) when there's only spam.
>

>>I dont suggest re-directiing mail to an inbox, which is treated
>>differently than other folders (JMC runs on inboxes automatically for
>>example). Having a fake account doesnt do much in this instance.

> On the other account i have disabled everything of course... then i
> leave it collapsed and i'm not aware of how much spam i get.
>
> Stefnao

No, not at all!

Dont open the folder/account you put Junk in, and you wont see it at
all! You wont be aware of how much spam you get, because, unless you
open it up, you cant see it! Put it in a subfolder of Local Folders, or
even within a fake account, and you will never have to open it up.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org