Velocity Reviews

-   -   Major host iPowerweb refuses to support Mozilla / Firefox - 240,000 sites affected (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t10313-major-host-ipowerweb-refuses-to-support-mozilla-firefox-240-000-sites-affected.html)

js17@cavelle.com 01-20-2005 03:29 PM

Major host iPowerweb refuses to support Mozilla / Firefox - 240,000 sites affected

The community should be aware that iPowerweb, with more than 240,000
web sites, refuses to support Mozilla and Firefox.

iPowerweb have set up the e-mail systems for 240,000 domains so that
they can work only with Internet Explorer.

Anyone using the webmail system on a iPowerweb hosted site is affected.
Whenever they create and send an e-mail with an attachment using
Mozilla or Firefox (or Opera), their mail system makes it looks like it
was sent (it appears in the outbox), but instead iPowerweb just quietly
throws it away.

Unless an unhappy customer or recipient actually complains about not
receiving a specific e-mail, no-one knows that the messages they are
sending using Mozilla or Firefox are being thrown away by iPowerweb .

After more than six weeks of endless frustration with their customer
support, iPowerweb have now confirmed that this problem exists and that
they can not or will not fix it in the short term.

iPowerweb obviously do not care about the millions of Firefox and
Mozilla users. Any Firefox or Mozilla users, or any company that does
not want to be forced into using Microsoft Internet Explorer, should
move any existing domains from iPowerweb and avoid placing future
business with them.

Please note that I have no association with any other hosting company,
and it is only because of iPowerweb's appalling customer support and
failure to support any non-Microsoft browser that I am posting this
warning.

If you want further information on this problem, or can recommend a web
hosting provider that properly supports non-Microsoft browsers for
their webmail, please let me know.

John

======================================

Background information from iPowerweb confirming that their webmail
throws away e-mails with attachments if Mozilla or Firefox are used:

" Response (Adam Shing) - 01/14/2005 04:43 PM
Dear Customer,
I've also tried myself with a few different configurations and I
seem to be having the same issue. I can't send anything with
attachments out of Mozilla, but emails with no attachments go through
fine. Same behavior on both the old and new @mail it seems. We're
sending this to our developers to look at. We apologize for the
difficulty and delays this problem is causing you, but we thank you for
you patience as we work to try and get this resolved. "

"Response (Ron Herzog) - 01/19/2005 10:15 AM
....we are sorry but through our reasearch, attactments should work fine
if you are using Internet Explorer, but at this time attachments are
not workign in firefox our reasearch and developement department will
work on fxing this in the furture, thank you for making us aware of the
situation. ..."

Chrissy Cruiser 01-20-2005 03:54 PM

Re: Major host iPowerweb refuses to support Mozilla / Firefox - 240,000 sites affected

Major sucks. Thanks.

(ProteanThread) 01-21-2005 03:47 PM

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
> Major sucks. Thanks.

but how can a webhost do that ? wouldn't they be violating some sort of
privacy thingy by saying that your pages that you create will not
support firefox ? *CONFUZED*

Leonidas Jones 01-21-2005 05:32 PM

(ProteanThread) wrote:
> Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
>
>> Major sucks. Thanks.
>>

> but how can a webhost do that ? wouldn't they be violating some sort of
> privacy thingy by saying that your pages that you create will not
> support firefox ? *CONFUZED*

That's not what he said at all. All he's saying is the provider's web
interface for email accounts won't work in Firefox.

Lee