Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firefox google search bar searches google.de (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t10195-firefox-google-search-bar-searches-google-de.html)

Abso 01-06-2005 10:03 PM

Firefox google search bar searches google.de

Hello. I've downloaded Firefox recently onto two PCs I use on my home
network and in both cases the google search bar in the toolbar returns
results in German from Google.de. Any ideas?

The google.src file in \searchplugins has "www.google.com/search"
included within it so I have no idea what's giving Firefox the idea to
search google.de.

How can I sort this out? I'd ideally like my google search results
returned from google.co.uk but google.com would be fine also.

TIA.

Vazilis 01-06-2005 10:37 PM

Re: Firefox google search bar searches google.de

"Abso" <me@privacy.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hello. I've downloaded Firefox recently onto two PCs I use on my home
> network and in both cases the google search bar in the toolbar returns
> results in German from Google.de. Any ideas?
>
> The google.src file in \searchplugins has "www.google.com/search"
> included within it so I have no idea what's giving Firefox the idea to
> search google.de.
>
> How can I sort this out? I'd ideally like my google search results
> returned from google.co.uk but google.com would be fine also.

I think that google recently (some weeks) have done some new stuffs,
they check your IP and redirect you to your country vesion of google...
I don't know if it was done for improve search performance or to help
"normal"
people, but it's a very bad idea for me. If they want to keep the
redirecting com
version, Google should make a international version (just based of english
language, and more).
Or does it already exist?

Abso 01-06-2005 10:52 PM

Vazilis wrote:

> "Abso" <me@privacy.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Hello. I've downloaded Firefox recently onto two PCs I use on my
> > home network and in both cases the google search bar in the toolbar
> > returns results in German from Google.de. Any ideas?
> >
> > The google.src file in \searchplugins has "www.google.com/search"
> > included within it so I have no idea what's giving Firefox the idea
> > to search google.de.
> >
> > How can I sort this out? I'd ideally like my google search results
> > returned from google.co.uk but google.com would be fine also.

> I think that google recently (some weeks) have done some new stuffs,
> they check your IP and redirect you to your country vesion of
> google... I don't know if it was done for improve search performance
> or to help "normal"
> people, but it's a very bad idea for me. If they want to keep the
> redirecting com
> version, Google should make a international version (just based of
> english language, and more).

Excellent. Based on your answer I've changed the text of google.src to
read "www.google.co.uk.search" and now I have searches being served by
google.co.uk with no German redirects.

Thanks.

Abso 01-06-2005 10:55 PM

Abso wrote:

> Excellent. Based on your answer I've changed the text of google.src
> to read "www.google.co.uk.search" and now I have searches being

^
/