Velocity Reviews

-   -   Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting asp.netapp to a database (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t100300-separate-webserver-and-sql-server-error-when-connecting-asp-netapp-to-a-database.html)

Ann Marinas 04-10-2005 10:11 AM

Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting asp.netapp to a database

Hi all,

I would like to ask for some help regarding separating the asp.net
webserver and the sql server.

I have created an asp.net application for a certain company. Initially,
we installed both the iis and sql server in a single machine. Not too
long ago, the machine had some hardware problems, and management has
decided to purchase new servers, for both asp.net and sql server.

Once we installed my webapp on the first server and the sql server on
another, we have encountered some errors with it. Basically, the
exception that keeps on saying was:

"SQL Server database does not exist or access denied."

Tried creating a windows account for the webapp to use to connect and
configure it to the sql server, but it does not work.

Tried also connecting with the database using a SQL Server account, but
to no avail.

Please help! I would really appreciate it!!

Regards,
Ann Marinas

Wessel Troost 04-10-2005 10:20 AM

Re: Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting asp.net app to a database

An ASP.NET application typically connects to the database through a
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection object.
To change the SQL server, you need to find all SqlConnection objects and
update their ConnectionString property to point to the new database
server.

Greetings,
Wessel

Posted At: Sunday, April 10, 2005 12:11 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Conversation: Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting
asp.net app to a database
Subject: Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting
asp.net app to a database

Mark Rae 04-10-2005 10:34 AM

"Ann Marinas" <ka_marinas@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> Please help! I would really appreciate it!!

1) Are you using the native .NET data provider, OleDb or (surely not!) ODBC?

2) What ConnectionString are you using?

3) When you installed SQL Server, what authentication mode did you choose
(SQL Server, Windows or mixed)?

4) On the SQL Server machine, launch SQL Query Analyzer (NOT ENTERPRISE
MANAGER!) and try to log in using the UserID and password from the
ConnectionString in 2) above - can you? If so, can you drop the database
dropdown and select the database from the ConnectionString in 2) above? If
so, run SELECT * FROM sysobjects - what do you see?

Ann Marinas 04-10-2005 10:55 AM

Re: Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting asp.netapp to a database

Hi, Wessel!

Thank you for your reply.

I've changed my connectionstring property after the database was
transfered to another server and it has got all the correct values, but
still no avail.

Thanks again for helping me out! Really do appreciate it!

Cheers,
Ann

Wessel Troost 04-10-2005 11:00 AM

Re: Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting asp.net app to a database

- Post the connection string, we might be able to help.
- "telnet sqlserver 1433" to see if you can reach the SQL server. 1433
is the default SQL server port.
- Check the firewall settings on the SQL Server.
- Check if the SQL Server user has a default database, and if the user
is valid in that database.

Greetings,
Wessel

Posted At: Sunday, April 10, 2005 12:55 PM

Ann Marinas 04-10-2005 11:04 AM

Re: Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting asp.netapp to a database

Hi, Mark!

Thank you for helping me out.

1) I am using System.Data.SqlClient for my data access.
2) I have changed the connection string which was located in my
web.config file when we separated the webserver to the sql db server
3) The authenticatio is set to Mixed mode -- SQL Server and Windows
Authentication
4) On the Webserver, the Query Analyzer is not installed on the
webserver. However if I am going to access the query analyzer, I have to
access the sql server itself.

Thanks again!

Mark Rae 04-10-2005 11:33 AM

Re: Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting asp.net app to a database

"Ann Marinas" <ka_marinas@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

Ann,

> 1) I am using System.Data.SqlClient for my data access.

That's a good thing.

> 2) I have changed the connection string which was located in my web.config
> file when we separated the webserver to the sql db server

I'm sure you have but, if we're going to help you, you're going to have to
tell us what the ConnectionString is... :-)

> 3) The authenticatio is set to Mixed mode -- SQL Server and Windows
> Authentication

Even easier.

> 4) On the Webserver, the Query Analyzer is not installed on the webserver.
> However if I am going to access the query analyzer, I have to access the
> sql server itself.

No - just use any machine which can "see" the SQL Server and which has the
SQL Client Tools installed.

Eliyahu Goldin 04-10-2005 12:42 PM

Re: Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting asp.net app to a database

Ann,

You are getting an error in accessing database. This means that server
connections is ok, just database is not accessible. Most likely you have to
have another look into permissions for the login you are connecting under
for the database you are connecting to. Or make sure the database name is
correct.

Eliyahu

=?Utf-8?B?QW5uIE1hcmluYXM=?= 04-10-2005 09:15 PM

Re: Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting asp

the connection string is:

Data Provider=myDB; Initial Catalog=myDBName; Integrated Securit=SSPI

tried doing the telnet, and it says:
Connecting To database...Could not open a connection to host on port 1433 :
Connect failed

Really do appreciate your help!

=?Utf-8?B?QW5uIE1hcmluYXM=?= 04-11-2005 03:51 AM

Re: Separate Webserver and SQL Server -- error when connecting asp

Hi, Eliyahu!

I've checked the name of the database and the windows user access name that
will be used for the database connection. Before I did that, I've double-
checked as well the user account that will be used to impersonate the access
if it has permissions on the SQL Server database, but to no avail.

It keeps on saying that the db is not existing or access is denied -- in
which I could clearly see the database on the database folder.

Thanks for helping me out! Really appreciate it! :)