Thermaltake ToughPower 550 Power Supply

  1. unholy
    Introduction

    Today we are here to look at the new Thermaltake ToughPower 550, which of course is a power supply if you didn't already know. The ToughPower is a SLi/Crossfire Power Supply with the rest, including two 12 volt rails and a 20+4 pin ATX Connector.

    Packaging

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    What's in the box

    In the box is:
    • ToughPower 550 Power Supply Unit
    • Manual
    • Screws
    • Power Cable
    [​IMG]

    Specifications
    • Max Power:550 Watts
    • Switches: ATX Logic on-off additional power rocker switch
    • Colour: Black Gloss
    • PFC: Active (230V model only)
    • Cooling System: 120mm Fan (2200 RPM / 76.63 CFM)
    • Noise: 17dB at 1300rpm
    • PG Signal: 100-500ms
    • Over Voltage +5v: 5.7v Min, 6.2 Max
    • Over Voltage +3.3v: 3.7v Min, 4.1 Max
    • Over Voltage +12v1&2: 13.3v Min, 14.3 Max
    • Unit Size: 15cm(L)x14cm(W)x8.5cm(H)
    • Weight: 2.13kg
    • Input Voltage: 230 VAC (w/PFC), 115VAC/230VAC (wo/PFC)
    • Input Freq: 50~60 Hz
    • Input Current: 12A/6A
    • Hold-Up Time: 17ms (aka if the power goes off for less then 17ms then your computer will stay on)
    • Efficiency: >80%
    The ToughPower

    The ToughPower 550 is a nice glossy box with wires hanging out, it also has a side picture advertising the product. Although it might seem good on paper, I had problems fitting the power supply in.

    [​IMG]
    The ToughPower 550 is not a modular power supply so according to what most people say, it has a higher efficiency then a modular psu. Although it does have cable sleeving and long wires.

    Cable Connectors:
    • 2x 4 Molex, 1 Floppy
    • 2x 2 Sata
    • 2x PCI-E
    • 4 Pin ATX
    • 20+4 pin ATX
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Power Output Specs:
    • +12v1: 19A
    • +12v2: 19A
    • +5v: 40A
    • +3.3v: 32A
    • +5v SB: 2A
    • -12v: 1A
    As you can see this power supply will definitely support a SLi system.

    [​IMG]
    Installation

    Installing the PSU was quite simple, although i did have problems installing in to my Cooler Master Praetorian Case, as u need to slide it in the back and the side picture scratches.

    [​IMG]
    Results

    Test Computer:
    Testing:
    • Power Supply ran through a UPS on battery
    • Voltage Measured for 10 minutes, Load and Idle
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Conclusion

    This power supply isn't too bad, although it does jitter quite a bit it is still about as close to the right voltage as you need.
    Thermaltake did make a mistake when they decided to put the picture on the side, because some people might not be able to install it without troubles.

    [​IMG]
    Pros (+):
    • Reasonably low Jitter and close to standard voltage requirements
    • Cable Sleeved
    • EZ Connectors
    • APFC (230V Model only)
    • 20+4 Pin