Swissbit unitedCONTRAST 1GB

  1. Silverstrand
    Introduction

    There is nothing quite as satisfying as knowing that the CD-RW has finally been replaced as the most convenient way to store and transfer ~500MB worth of data and files. Okay, a CD-RW holds a little more than that, 650MB to be specific, but that isn't the point. Nowadays, we have solid state, nearly indestructible USB flash memory devices that fit neatly on your key chain between the home and car keys.

    [​IMG]

    Before I get to the review, I would like to provide some background on Swissbit.

    [​IMG]

    "Emerging from a joint venture with Siemens Switzerland Ltd. Swissbit in Switzerland has more than 12 years experience in development, design, manufacturing and testing of Memory Products. With a production of more than 3,5 Mio. Memory Modules each year, Swissbit has become the largest, independent manufacturer of memory modules in Europe since 1999. The production is located in Bronschhofen (SG), Switzerland in an ISO 9001 and EN 14001 certified environment."

    [​IMG]
    Packaging

    [​IMG]
    Click image for a larger view
    The Swissbit unitedCONTRAST comes packaged just like its big brother, the TwistPro, in a plastic container that showcases the actual product. The plastic packaging is glued together in small sqaures, so you know if the package has been tampered with.

    Contents

    [​IMG]
    Click image for a larger view
    Just like its big brother, there is no included lanyard, USB extension cable, CD with drivers or an instruction manual. Yet, there is the amazing TravelitEasy, software. (Please note that the following reviews of the included software are from the TWISTPRO review). Oh, and not to forget, a thumb cap.
    TravelitEasy is more complete with a setting to allow you to set up email accounts as well as sync options: Internet Explorer Favorites, My documents, and others. There is even a feature to leave a calling card with details of owners address ect and any reward offered, hopefully though no one will have to ever use it, but in reality it’s a possibility. So no matter were you are you just have to plug in to a pc and the device will grab you mail as well as sync with other files in My Documents (ideal for carrying work around).

    Here is an extract from the TravelitEasy website explaining the software:

    "Travel it Easy offers the USB Flash Drive user a variety of useful functions. An intuitive and friendly to use user interface allows access to the different options. Those concerned about security issues can choose to password protect their data so even if the Drive is lost or stolen the data remains undisclosed to intrusive eyes. And that is not all. Travel it Easy features the USB Drive Lost & Found™ function that allows the finder to read a HTML file containing the user’s contact information but doesn’t let him access the data stored on the USB Drive. With the My Documents synchronization function the user can choose to synchronize the entire My Documents folder or only selected subfolders with his USB Drive in a very easy way. The Outlook Express function enables the user to copy his Outlook Express user identity and all the data (like e-mails, contacts etc.) on to the USB Flash Drive and then work with them on a remote PC. Emails can be sent, contacts added and then all the data can be transferred back on the original PC easily with just a few mouse clicks. A practical function, especially for those who do a lot of traveling."​

    Testing

    To test just how speedy the MiniTwist is, I opened up SiSoftware Sandra and ran a File System Benchmark against a opponent 1GB thumbdrive, the Sony MicroVault.

    [​IMG]
    Conclusion

    [​IMG]
    Overall, the Swissbit unitedCONTRAST is a great flash drive. It's small design, yet while still having capabilities of storing up to 1GB of data, and while being competively priced makes the unitedCONTRAST worth purchasing. Testing the unitedCONTRAST showed that it is definitly a contender in the speed side of things as well. The only real downfall of the MiniTwist is that there is no included layard or USB extension cable.

    Images

    1. 1.jpg
    2. 2.jpg
    3. 2-big.jpg