Sharkoon Silent Eagle 80mm Fans

  1. VelocityReviews
    Introduction

    It has been a while since I've done a review on a simple item such as a fan. This is usually because fans have reached their peak in performance, features, and esthetics. With a little tweaking, Sharkoon has managed to bring such a simple item to its true peak, by creating possibly the quietest 80mm fan on the market.

    [​IMG]

    Before I get to the review, I would like to provide some background on Sharkoon.
    [​IMG]

    "We do not follow any trends – we set them." This is the claim the brand Sharkoon stands for with its products in the areas of gaming, modding, and storage solutions.

    In the year 2004 we have been able to extend our portfolio by including new, fascinating products. Special thanks go to our developers who always commit their entire skills and inspiration for meeting even the markets most extravagant requirements by developing innovative products. So SHARKOON shows that unique design, convincing performance and affordable prices are not a contradiction in terms.

    In these days high expectations and requirements are made to the acoustic performance of a modern computer. With the practically noise-free operation of its numerous ‘Silent’ products SHARKOON meets the growing demand in this field with, for example, a range of power supply units and a line of low-noise high-performance CPU and system coolers.

    Features & Specifications

    Contents, features and specifications can be found on Sharkoon's website.

    Unique rotor blade and frame design
    Robust metal sleeve bearing
    Cable protection from rubberized fabric sheathing
    Universal connection cable (3-pin as well as 4-pin plus separate signal line for fan speed monitoring)

    Silent Eagle 1000

    Rated voltage: 12 V (DC)
    Power consumption: 1.44 W
    Fan speed: 1000 rpm
    Airflow: 11.4 CFM
    Noise level: 8.9 dB(A)
    Dimensions (mm): 80 x 80 x 25
    Connector: universal

    Silent Eagle 2000

    Rated voltage: 12 V (DC)
    Power consumption: 1.44 W
    Fan speed: 2000 rpm
    Airflow: 22.7 CFM
    Noise level: 17.8 dB(A)
    Dimensions (mm): 80 x 80 x 25
    Connector: universal

    Packaging and Contents

    [​IMG]

    The fans arrived in fairly standard hanging retail boxs that I've seen many times. Although not really important, the package has a nice grey color scheme. I've always enjoyed packaging that fully shows the product you are buying. The back of the packaging (not pictured) has a clean layout in English and German with a brief, but informative description of the product and what you get with it.

    [​IMG]

    Inside the hanging retail box you'll find self tapping screws (no big deal) and a 4 to 3 pin converter, complete with a fan speed tail. Yet, Sharkoon has also included rubber mounting gear to reduce vibration/noise.

    Close-up

    [​IMG]

    The fins of the fan is where the silence and innovation is truely at. It is all "based on the surface texture of a golf ball, which helps to reduce air resistance and turbulence, resulting in particularly quiet operation while maximizing airflow volume" (from Sharkoon's Website).

    Installation

    [​IMG]

    When you install the fans, you have a choice of using normal fan screws, or the included rubber bolts. I'd recommend the rubber bolts, as they will reduce vibration/noise. To install them, just look at the instructions included in the pacakage.

    Conclusion

    I didn't want to end this review already... I would have liked to have actually tested to see just how quiet these fans actually are. Yet, I just don't have the technology to do that. So, without a real test to prove how quiet these fans are, I'll just have to give you my word these are the quietest fans I have ever heard, yet, the fans do not push much air. The 2,000rpm model is just fine, and pushes enough air, yet, the 1,000rpm model barely pushes any air.

    Images

    1. contents.jpg
    2. fandetail.jpg
    3. intro.jpg