Raidmax Horizon Gaming Case

  1. VelocityReviews
    Introduction

    Picking out a case for your next build can be rather tricky. You have the choice between a cheaply made product that has sharp edges and flimsy side panels, or you have the sturdily built, heavy, and extremely expensive cases. Where is the budget friendly quality case? Raidmax believes it has the solution.
    [​IMG]

    Before I get to the review, I would like to provide some background on Raidmax.

    [​IMG]

    Raidmax is a recognized global leader and innovator in the PC enclosure industry. Our world-class research and development division has been creating some of the most sought after PC enclosure designs, and our state of the art manufacturing facilities have been making products that are unparalleled in quality, reliability, and performance.

    Raidmax's mission is to consistently offer best in class PC enclosures and accessories to our OEM clientele, as well as the fast growing retail market segment. Our constant effort to provide innovative designs, quality products, and excellent customer service is what sets Raidtronics apart from our competitors. At Raidmax, we will not only work hard to earn your business, our goal is to always meet or exceed your expectations.

    Features & Specifications

    Contents, features and specifications can be found on Raidmax's website.

    Case Features
    Red Hard drive responsive LED light
    Blue LED lighted front panel
    Front panel door
    Prescott ready
    Adjustable wind tunnel
    Transparent Side Viewing Panel
    Blue LED lighted side panel fan
    Superb stock cooling options
    Fully expandable

    External Drive Bays:
    4 x 5.25" and 2 x 3.5"
    Internal Drive Bays:
    4 x 3.5" H.D.
    System Board:
    ATX Form Factor 12" x 10.5" or smaller
    Expansion slots:
    Standard ATX 7 slots
    Material:
    SECC Steel
    Power Supply:
    380watts PS2 ATX12V Power Supply(US SPEC)

    Packaging and Contents

    [​IMG]

    The Raidmax Horizon is packaged in a box that beautifully shows off the Horizon in its black color (which made me wish I would have asked for the black version...). Inside the box, the case is wrapped in plastic, while packed between two huge foam pieces to ensure there is no damage during shipping.
    [​IMG]

    Inside the case itself, are these contents: Bag of screws/motherboard standoffs, PSU power cable, and a 24-20 pin converter for the included PSU.

    External Features

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    The Raidmax Horizon being reviewed is in its silver version. There are many other colors available though, which include black, blue, green and yellow. The design of the Horizon is based on a very common metal body with a plastic front door that covers the bays. While the front of the Horizon is made of plastic, the rest of the case is made of steel. The side of the case features a nice and large window. The window has scan lines going across it for some reason, but it doesn't really add or take away from the design.

    [​IMG]

    The back of the case is pretty normal, but does have 2x spots for 80mm exhaust fans. Please note those fans are not included though.

    [​IMG]

    If you look at the bottom of the front of the case, you'll notice a little snap-open door that covers upfront 2x USB ports, Sound and Mic plugs, and an option for Firewire.

    [​IMG]

    The bottom of the case features four round plastic feet.

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    To give you a quick idea on the size of the Horizon, I have placed it next to my Antec LanBoy. The Horizon is slightly long, but, a tad skinnier.

    Internal Features

    [​IMG]

    The internals of the Raidmax Horizon is not too fancy. There is no tooless design implemented at all. Each of the ten drive bays and 7 expansion slots requires standard screws for securing. There also is a lack of a removable motherboard tray, but to make up for this, Raidmax has made cooling a priority. In the front, there is a spot for either a 120mm or 80mm intake fan. In the rear, as mentioned before, is a spot for 2x 80mm fans, and included in the side panel is an 80mm blue LED fan.

    [​IMG]

    One small, but important feature, is that all the edges in the Raidmax Horizon are curved. This prevents you from cutting yourself, or your cables when working inside the case.

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    The included side panel 80mm blue LED fan is covered by stylish black mesh, instead of a plain fan grill. I really like the idea of the floating metal ring around the fan. It really blends the window with the fan. On the internal side of the case, there is a cooling duct attached to the fan. Ideally, the duct should line up over the CPU cooling fan so the CPU can be cooled with fresh air from the outside of the case rather than the case's internal ambient air. Yet, it may cause some problems with some heatsinks when installed, because not all heatsink are located in the same place, and heatsinks these days are getting larger and larger.

    Click image for a larger view

    The 80mm blue LED fan is made by NAC, and is model NA802512S. I could not find any information on the fan, or company though. There is a problem with the fan though, at least the one in this particular case sent to me. One of the LED's is pushed too far into the frame, which causes the fan blades to hit the LED when turned on and make a racket of a noise. I'm sure this probably just happens time to time when making LED fans, but you should still note this.
    [​IMG]

    To take the front off of the case, you need to unscrew two little screws on the inside frame. This seemed a bit odd to me, as usually the plastic clips are just fine. When I took off the front, I realized the screws were there because more than half of the plastic clips were already broken. So I'm glad to see that Raidmax added the screws to fix that issue.
    [​IMG]

    With the front off you can see that the front intake either works with a 120mm fan or an 80mm fan. It is great to see Raidmax giving you the option of what to use, although I'd recommend using a 120mm.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    Included with the Raidmax Horizon is a 380w Raidmax power supply. It is very light, and has only one 80mm fan, which is the exhaust. There are two cables with 2x molex and 1x floppy, a single cable for SATA, a 4v cable, and the 24pin power cable. Please note there are no PCI-E cables, and only one SATA cable.
    [​IMG]

    Hardware Installation

    [​IMG]

    Installation with the Raidmax Horizon is nothing special. Raidmax really needs to have some kind of screwless design, or at least brackets for the drives to make things easier with installations. Everything does fit perfectly in the case though, with lots of room to spare.

    Conclusion

    [​IMG]

    The Raidmax Horizon Case is a great new contender on the budget market. It features the main ideas every budget conscious person should think of when purchasing a case, good cooling, expandability and a power supply.

    The case has three different locations for fans, with a total of four fans if you desire. The intake can either be an 120mm or an 80mm, the rear exhaust has room for 2x 80mm fans, and the side panel comes with an 80mm blue LED exhaust fan.

    Although the case is midsized, there is plenty of room for adding more drives. With a total of ten drive bays, you'll have more than enough room to add on. The inside is not cramped either. There is more than enough room for a full size motherboard.

    The inclusion of a power supply is great, especially 380w. If you have a power hungry rig, you'll need a better quality power supply. Yet, the main group of people buying this case, the budget conscious, will be just fine with the included power supply.

    There are a few cons with the Raidmax Horizon, yet these pretty much go along with any budget case; lack of tooless design, lack of motherboard tray, only one included fan. Yet, when a case has great cooling, expandability, and a power supply for only $39.99, I think we can get over that.

    Images

    1. broken.jpg
    2. cables.jpg
    3. comparison1.jpg