Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT

  1. unholy
    Introduction

    Corsair has been the top notch memory manufacture since 1994, and has been bring out more and more modules since then, some being quite good and others totally kicking ass! When we are talking computers, Corsair is the chocolate coating on the cake.

    Overview

    Today we will be looking at the new TWINX 4000PT’s which come in a 2 GB kit. Unlike the pro series the standard XMS (Also known as TWINX) series still kick’s ass, but it’s more intended for over clocking and not bling bling like the experts or the Memory Usage LED’s on the XMS Pro's. The TWINX 4000PT’s are rated to run at DDR 500 which is 250 MHz. But let’s get straight to the facts and skip all the non sense fiction!

    Packaging

    Now this is one of the categories we really need to look at when purchasing Electro sensitive and fragile gear. Unlike cases or keyboards, the Ram comes in a normal plastic packet and in then inside a plastic bag then bubble wrapped and inside a box of foam. Anyways that’s how corsair sent it to me, other retailers might do it differently.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Specifications
    • 64 x 8 DDR-SDRAM Modules per Stick
    • Fully Stable at Rated 250 MHz
    • JEDEC Standard 3-4-4-8
    • Pre Programmed SPD for PC3200 (DDR400)
    • Made for Gaming!
    • Available in Single Modules
    • Lifetime Warranty
    What you get

    Obliviously you get the two modules. But there is a hidden Manual. It is quite informative on how to install the ram, you will need it if you don’t know what your doing.

    [​IMG]
    Test Setup
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Testing Procedure
    • Test Setup above will be used
    • Common Settings including DDR400, DDR500 and SPD Latency Settings.
    • Will be compared against OCZ’s PC3200 EL DDR Gold Edition VX 1 GB Kit
    • Over Clocking will be tested for Stability using Memtest 86
    • A number of Benchmarking programs will be used including games
    Results

    [​IMG]
    Settings:
    1024x768x32bit
    D3D-HAL&TL
    No AA

    [​IMG]
    Settings:
    1024x768x32bit
    TF: Optimal
    AF: 4
    Vertex Shader: Optimal

    [​IMG]
    Settings:
    1024x768x32bit
    Optimal Filtering
    No AA

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Settings:
    800x600
    High Detail

    [​IMG]
    Settings:
    800x600
    High Quality
    No HDR
    2 Bots
    Overclocking

    When over clocking these beasts I set the voltage straight to 2.9volts. I then raised it from 250 MHz because it is stable at 250 MHz, I used the stock timings at got it up to 292 MHz without fault, and then Memtest started giving me errors. The timings are already pretty loose but I temped to raise the voltage to 3.2 unfortunately no response but when dropped the timing to 3-5-5-10 I was able to clock it to 303 MHz at 2.9volts.

    Conclusion

    First appears may deceive you, as they did to me. I thought these modules were going to be average like most of the other modules I have seen from other companies. But I was completely wrong these modules kick ass even with their loose timings. Not to mention that they run 1T Command Rates for 2GB. Corsair really does put performance over cost. These modules are definitely a pick. Even if you loose your legs for them!

    They clock up to 303 MHz with extreme stability and can clock further with looser timings if in need for the high speeds.
    Corsair did release a different model which was built for Low Latency, these certainly weren’t.

    Pros (+):
    • Black Heat Spreaders
    • Rated at PC4000
    • Can clock up to 303 MHz
    • Competes very well against other similar Ram.
    Cons (-):
    • Not Very superior Timings (Not to shabby considering the Speeds it can get upto)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Images

    1. 1_thumb.jpg