Arctic Cooling ATi Silencer

  1. VelocityReviews
    Introduction

    Arctic Cooling are pretty big, they have made some of the highest quality coolers for both CPU's and GPU's. Arctic Cooling have just released their new nVidia Silencer. But today we are reviewing their new Rev 2 of their 1st ATi Silencer.

    Packaging

    Packaged in a retail plastic packet, it is very easy to open with a pair of scissors. With all the packaging it doesn't weigh too much, 500-600 grams.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Specifications
    Fan
    72 mm
    Overall Dimensions 218.5 x 100 x 40.5 mm
    Rated Fan Speed 1500 RPM
    Bearing ARCTIC Ceramic Bearing
    Noise Level 0.5 Sone (3 Sones and more:* disturbing)
    Weight 201 g
    Warranty 6 Years

    Compatibility

    Arctic Cooling have made a very useful diagram to find out wether this cooler will fit on or wont fit on without modding. In some cases the cooler will not fit onto a model due to Video Card manufactures different layout.

    Diagram can be found here (PDF):
    http://www.arctic-cooling.com/downloads/compatibility/height_restr_ati1_r2.pdf

    The ATi Silencer 1 (rev 2) supports
    • ATi 9500 - 9700 (SE, Pro, XT) [AGP]
    • ATi 9800 (SE, Pro) [AGP]
    • ATi x800 (R420) - AIW [AGP]
    • FireGL T2, Z1, X1, X3 [AGP]
    • ATi x600 (Pro, XT, AIW) [PCI-E]
    • ATi x700 (Pro, AIW)* [PCI-E]
    • ATi x800 (R420) - AIW [PCI-E]
    • FireGL V3100, V3200, V5000* [PCI-E]
    What you get

    The box includes:
    • ATi Silencer 1 (rev 2)
    • Arctic Cooling MX-1 Thermal Paste (1 Serving)
    • PCI Expansion Air Flow Vent Slot
    • Manual
    • Arctic Cooling Sticker
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The ATi Silencer

    The Silencer is a very nice cooler, it looks very stylish and beefy. The rear mounted fan helps pull air into the duct which takes it to the heat sink for the GPU. The fan is ball bearing as normal but has the ability of connecting to a 3 Pin VGA fan plug or a 2 Pin VGA fan plug.[​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The heat sink is not shiny which means it doesn't have extreme contact but the thermal paste should make up for that.

    [​IMG]

    Because I have a compatible card which is not compatible I was forced to do a slight amount of modding to mount this cooler. First I start with a Capacitor in the road, I removed a fin and cut the side out (featured in the photos). After this the cooler was mount but to find that a second problem arose, the exhaust outlet is unable to fit into a case. This was due to the video card on which I had, it has the GPU placed close to the left of the card. I was able to cut the Pipe back and able to mount it in.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Installation

    The Installation of the Silencer Was simple after the modification to fit my card was completed.
    [​IMG]

    Test Setup
    • AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Winchester Core)
    • DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D
    • OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Gold VX (2-3-3-8)
    • Gigabyte x600 pro 128MB
    • Sunbeam Nuuo 550 Watt Power Supply
    • Sunbeam Theta Fan Controller
    • 80GB Seagate SATA HDD
    • Cooler Master Praetorian 731
    Testing

    Testing was done with the above machine. ATi Tray Tools Artifact Stress Testing was used to load the GPU during tests.

    Ambient Temperature was kept at 17°C

    Temperatures were measured in 40 minute time periods.

    Cooler Comparison:
    • Arctic Cooling ATi Silencer 1 (Rev 2)
    • Gigabyte Stock Cooler
    • Titan Robela Water Cooling Case
    Results
    [​IMG]

    Conclusion

    The ATi Silencer is a must have cooler for any card. If it can cool down your GPU its worth it. Graphics Cards these days are becoming faster and faster, but with all the speed comes excessive heat. The Silencer takes most of that heat away, in a silent fashion.

    If you have ether already voided or warranty has ran out then this after market cooler is exactly what I have in mind when I want a silent PC or for that fact a very well cooled computer whilst still using air cooling.

    This VGA Cooler is a MUST have for after market air cooling. With temperature drops ranging from 4-5°C it really helps.

    When you prefer Silent over high performance, get a ATi Silencer.

    Before you go out an buy one, make sure your card will mount, check the arctic cooling website and use the free height diagram (ATi Silencer 1 (rev 2) Diagram).

    Pro's ( + ):
    Con's ( - ):
    • Hard to mount on cards that are not full compatible
    • No fan speed measurement
    • Takes up and extra 1 and 1/4 of a PCI expansion slot

    Images

    1. 1_thumb.jpg
    2. 2_thumb.jpg
    3. 3_thumb.jpg