AeroCool Zerodba

  1. Silverstrand
    Introduction

    [​IMG]

    Today's computer components are demanding more and more power in order to run at their full potential. Video cards and processors have advanced so fast in the last two years that their power requirements have barely been met by power supply manufacturers. Consumers have to make a very tough decision when choosing which power supply to trust with their new system, while keeping a close eye on the power specifications of each PSU to ensure they will get the stability they are looking for while keeping in mind their overclocking possibilities as well. The bottom line is whether you overclock or not, you need to invest in a quality power supply.

    Before I get to the review, I would like to provide some background on Aerocool.

    AeroCool.US is established in 2002 in the US and is committed to share our technical expertise and innovative design in providing total-solution for thermal management. Although AeroCool.US is a new player in the cooler market, but we offer the latest cooling technology and solution for industrial and personal computers. Our strengths lie in our RD abilities, advance manufacturing facilities, strong cooperative partners and high performance and unique products.

    Our engineering and RD staffs specialize in airflow analysis, material conductivity, heat transfer technology and efficiency design. AeroCool.US not only has expertise in cooler technology and product design, but we also play a vital role in the enhancement of production efficiency and marketing analysis. We are constantly developing new products and technology to meet market demands and to generate new markets for our thermal products.
    As a thermal solution provider, AeroCool.US will continue to expand and lead the market in technology. Ours mission is to work closely with our partners and customers and to continue to manufacture the highest quality products to satisfy the market demand. We will continue to strive to achieve our goals and continue to improve our marketing and customer services through "e-business" and "e-marketing". We always welcome customer suggestions and recommendations.

    Features

    Contents, features and specifications can be found on AeroCool's website.

    -13.5 cm Ultra-Silent Fan
    -Exclusive '4-steps' 0dBA technology
    -Cable management with sleeved wiring
    -PCI Express, SLi, Crossfire and Dual Core CPU ready
    -EPS 12V and ATX 12V 2.02 compliant
    -EMI Filtering in PCI Express cables for EMI protection
    -Mirror surface finish

    Packaging and Contents

    The AeroCool 620W Zerodba PSU comes packaged in the now normal large box with a graphic and detailed appearance.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The PSU is stuffed into the box on the inside though, rather than put into a foam ‘harness’ of sorts, which may make create some problems during rough deliveries. Yet, the PSU was in a bag, like normal, to protect from scratches.

    [​IMG]

    The AeroCool 620W Zerodba PSU comes with more than enough cables to power any system, all of which are sleeved.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Besides the standard internal cables, AeroCool has included three 3-pin fan cables which are perfect for those of us that can never seem to find a fan header on the motherboard where we need it. Four screws and a power cord are also included. The only thing I see missing is a manual. While this is a review sample, I would hope that the retail version of this PSU offers a short little manual to fully explain the features and show beginner PC builders how to install their PSU, although I realize most people don’t even know what a manual is…

    What is 0 dBA Technology?

    [​IMG]
    AeroCool’s Zerodba technology basically means the internal PSU fan only runs when it needs to. There are four different settings: Auto, 50C, 60C, and 70C. The ‘ultra-silent’ fan will run when you are within 5C of your set temperature. The auto setting keeps the fan spinning as long as the power source is running. This feature is very welcoming in the PSU market, as I’ve never seen user set options before.

    A deeper look…

    [​IMG]
    The AeroCool 620W Zerodba has a very shiny deep chrome finish, which is prone to fingerprints. But how often should you have to touch a power supply, except when you are installing it.

    [​IMG]
    The connectors on the Zerodba are pretty much like any other modular power supply except for one major difference, notice on the right-side of the power supply you will see three three-prong fan headers where you can directly connect your fans to the power supply. Now when you run of fan headers on your motherboard you have an additional three more to use right on you power supply. This is a very cool idea as I’ve always run out of connectors on the motherboard and have had to leave the fans unplugged.

    [​IMG]
    Looking at the inside of the Zerodba I was a bit disappointed at first. The PSU weighs quite a bit, 4lbs to be exact, and I thought that would mean large heat sinks on the inside. Yet, they were both the normal small size. Yet, there are two large filter capacitors to help smooth and clean AC line voltage before it is converted to DC voltage to be used by our computer and then the four large toroidal coils all add up to about 4 lbs.

    Testing

    The method I chose to test the AeroCool 620W Zerodba is a common one. I connected the power supply to a test system and measured the voltage of the rails using a DMM. As this is one of the best ways to test one. After gathering the info for idling, I ran rounds of Prime95 and SuperPI and then measured temps again. I took three different readings and then averaged them out.

    Test Rig
    [​IMG]
    Aerocool Zerodba rail readings
    3.3v: 3.44 Idle, 3.44 Load
    5v: 5.10 Idle, 5.10 Load
    12v: 12.12 Idle, 12.10 Load
    The rails on the AeroCool 620W Zerodba barely moved when under load. I checked once and then twice and then again. I even ran several other applications as well, yet the Zerodba gave me the same readings each and every time.

    Conclusion

    [​IMG]
    This is a very impressive power supply. The voltages didn't budge one bit. With the modular connections, I was expecting more fluctuation, yet all l I got was rock solid voltages on the Zerodba's rails. The power supply meets all of the criteria for all of the newest technology, it supports all of the dual video card formats as well as the dual core CPU power requirements, plus you get a little bling thrown in for free, minus flashy lights. This power supply will more than meet your needs for your system. Aero-Cool has done an amazing job on their new power supply, by creating stable rails, a nice and clean look and by adding a little innovation into the power supply market.

    Pros (+):

    • The shiney case and cables look excellent
    • Cables are modular
    • Rock solid rails
    • Innovative Zerodba 4-Step Function
    • 20+4 Pin

    Cons (-):

    • Routing modular cables is a real pain
    • Some may prefer fan speed rheostat for fine manual adjustments
    • Shiney paint always attracts finger prints

    [​IMG]

    Images

    1. cables.jpg
    2. cables-big.jpg